By Glen Gillen
Gillen's Stroke Rehabilitation: A Function-Based procedure, 3rd Edition is the only finished, evidence-based stroke rehabilitation source for occupational therapists. greatly up to date with the most recent study in review and intervention, this crucial textual content offers a holistic, application-based procedure that integrates history scientific details, samples of functionally dependent reviews, and present remedy concepts and intervention thoughts that will help you expectantly deal with the becoming variety of stroke rehabilitation consumers.
- UNIQUE! Case studies problem you to use rehabilitation strategies to lifelike situations.
- Evidence-based medical trials and final result studies basically define the foundation for stroke interventions.
- UNIQUE! Survivor's Perspectives assist you comprehend the stroke rehabilitation strategy from the client's point-of-view.
- UNIQUE! A multidisciplinary approach highlights discipline-specific differences in stroke rehabilitation between profession and actual therapists, physicians, and speech-language pathologists.
- Review questions in every one chapter assist you check your knowing of rehabilitation ideas.
- Key phrases and bankruptcy objectives initially of every bankruptcy assist you learn extra successfully.
- Three new chapters increase your knowing of stroke intervention within the components of Using know-how to enhance Limb Function, Managing Speech and Language Deficits after Stroke, and Parenting after Stroke.
- Learning actions and interactive references on a spouse Evolve assets website assist you overview textbook content material and find more information.
Read Online or Download Stroke Rehabilitation: A Function-Based Approach PDF
Best allied health professions books
Biosensors are discovering expanding functions in numerous components. over the past few years the components the place biosensors can be used successfully has elevated dramatically. This e-book just like the past 4 books on analyte-receptor binding and dissociation kinetics via this writer addresses the customarily ignored zone.
Occupational remedy proof in perform for psychological overall healthiness offers scholars and practitioners with an important textbook that either demonstrates and explains the applying of evidence-based perform. The ebook includes case experiences that essentially illustrate the ways that conception, learn and/or governmental directions can be utilized to notify medical reasoning and perform.
Position rising Occupational remedy: Maximising profession centred perform is written for an viewers of occupational remedy practitioners, educators and scholars. this article bargains an exploration of rising leading edge instructions for the career of occupational treatment with a spotlight upon the speculation and alertness of function rising placements.
- The Eye and Visual Optical Instruments
- The Handbook of Genetic Communicative Disorders
- Fundamentals of Radiobiology, Edition: 2nd Revised edition
- An introduction to medical dance movement therapy
Additional info for Stroke Rehabilitation: A Function-Based Approach
After a stroke, patients are at particular risk for pressure ulcers because they have numerous factors contributing to skin breakdown. Abnormal sensation, contracture, malnutrition, immobility, and muscle and soft-tissue atrophy often develop and may be complicated by advanced age. Prevention of pressure ulcers, rather than treatment of developing ulcers, should be the focus of care. 132 Once pressure ulcers have formed, in addition to strictly observing the preventive and pressure relieving measures previously noted, treatments include meticulous wound care with a variety of agents and possibly surgical reconstruction.
Hypertension Diastolic and systolic hypertension are each independently and strongly implicated in causing stroke. 5 mm Hg increase in diastolic pressure is a 46% increase in stroke incidence and a 29% increase in coronary heart disease (CHD). 120 Treating all forms of hypertension in the older age groups is therefore essential because they are at increased risk for stroke, and most strokes occur in this age group. Screening for hypertension and aggressively treating systolic and diastolic hypertension should be the cornerstone of any primary prevention program for stroke.
An exciting new development in the treatment of acute stroke has been the initiation of cooling therapy on presentation with the induction of a medical coma to limit the extent of brain injury after stroke. 28,131,139 The pooled analysis of existing studies does not yet provide convincing evidence that death or long-term disability are significantly changed from the application of mechanical or pharmacological cooling, but the therapy is just starting to be used on a larger scale, and new research findings published in the next several years may show a benefit to routine cooling of acute stroke victims.