By Steven E. Weinberger MD MACP FRCP, Barbara A. Cockrill MD, Jess Mandel MD FACP
Principles of Pulmonary Medicine is helping you master the rules of pulmonary medication with no being crushed! This concise, easy-to-read clinical reference book correlates easy technological know-how rules with the radiologic, pathologic, and medical facets of respiration disorder to supply an integrated, obtainable approach to the examine of pulmonary medicine.
- Focus at the scientific features and treatment of particular pulmonary and respiration illnesses, and understand the anatomy, body structure, and pathophysiology proper to significant pulmonary disorders.
- Apply the fabric to real-life practice with case-based pulmonology questions covering subject matters together with pulmonary functionality exams, physiologic facts, and result of arterial blood gasoline testing.
- Learn the most recent diagnostic and healing strategies with up-to-date assurance of diagnostic modalities utilized in pulmonary sickness, in addition to administration of bronchial asthma, lung melanoma, respiration failure, pulmonary high blood pressure, and different pulmonary diseases.
- Visually clutch tricky concepts with high quality photos of the lung that supplement discussions of particular diseases.
- Efficiently evaluate serious info in pulmonary medicine through skimming margin notes through the text.
- Practice your knowledge with two hundred case-based, self-assessment questions and practice pulmonology rules to real-life perform.
- Access the full contents on-line at professional Consult, together with NEW distinct writer audio bankruptcy lectures, videos, questions, extra audio recordings of lung sounds, supplemental photographs, and more.
Your buy entitles you to entry the website till the subsequent variation is released, or till the present variation is not any longer provided on the market through Elsevier, whichever happens first. If the following version is released below three hundred and sixty five days after your buy, you may be entitled to on-line entry for 365 days out of your date of buy. Elsevier reserves the correct to provide an appropriate substitute product (such as a downloadable or CD-ROM-based digital model) should still entry to the website be discontinued.
Read Online or Download Principles of Pulmonary Medicine. Expert Consult - Online and Print PDF
Best pulmonary & thoracic medicine books
Elimination the guesswork linked to Interstitial Lung problems (ILDs) and bronchiolar problems, Interstitial Pulmonary and Bronchiolar problems addresses the problems confronted through pulmonologists in treating those issues. Divided into sections in accordance with the sickness kind (granulomatous, pneumonias, bronchiolar problems, vasculitis, and orphan lung disease), each one ailment is roofed from epidemiological, pathogenic, scientific, and radiographic views.
From epidemiology and pathogenesis to illness administration, this booklet stories our present figuring out of and gives updated info of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). A subtype of Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias (IIP), IPF is without doubt one of the such a lot elusive and intractable breathing sickness up to now and its triggering elements stay doubtful.
This ebook is a state-of-the paintings evaluation for clinicians and dieticians with an curiosity in meals and inflammatory bowel illnesses (Crohn’s sickness, ulcerative colitis). the quantity covers new information approximately nutritional threat components for Crohn’s disorder and ulcerative colitis, examines the organization among vitamin and microbiome, describes a few of the diets within the administration of those ailments, and discusses macro- and micronutrient deficiency that happens in such sufferers.
This is often the single publication devoted completely to frontal sinus problems. it's a richly illustrated and finished mine of data at the anatomy and administration of those problems. This up-to-date moment variation deals a lot new info. extra themes comprise balloon dilation, frontal surgical procedure as a part of cranium base surgical procedure, and advances in endoscopic recommendations and instruments that experience happened due to the fact 2004 and feature made open osteoplastic tactics virtually out of date.
- Models of Exacerbations in Asthma and COPD (Contributions to Microbiology, Vol. 14)
- Diagnostic Tests in Pediatric Pulmonology: Applications and Interpretation (Respiratory Medicine)
- Antibiotics as Anti-Inflammatory and Immunomodulatory Agents (Progress in Inflammation Research)
- Pulmonary Circulation: Diseases and Their Treatment, Fourth Edition
- Nutrition and Health in a Developing World
Additional resources for Principles of Pulmonary Medicine. Expert Consult - Online and Print
When the patient says the vowel “E,” the resulting sound through consolidated lung has a nasal “A” quality. This E-to-A change is termed egophony. All these findings are variations on the same theme—an altered transmission of sound through airless lung—and basically have the same significance. Two qualifications are important in interpreting the quality of breath sounds. First, normal transmission of sound depends on patency of the airway. If a relatively large bronchus is occluded, such as by tumor, secretions, or a foreign body, airflow into that region of lung is diminished or absent, and the examiner hears decreased or absent breath sounds over the affected area.
The surgeon uses the video image as a guide for manipulating the instruments to obtain a biopsy sample of peripheral lung tissue or to remove a peripheral lung nodule. Finally, fluid in the pleural space is frequently sampled in the evaluation of a patient with a pleural effusion. A small needle is inserted through the chest wall and into the pleural space, and fluid is withdrawn. The fluid can be examined for malignant cells and microorganisms. Chemical analysis of the fluid (see Chapter 15) often provides additional useful diagnostic information.
52 n Principles of Pulmonary Medicine Lung volumes are determined by spirometry and either gas dilution or body plethysmography. Lung Volumes Although the lung can be subdivided into compartments in different ways, four volumes are particularly important (Fig. 3-15): 1. Total lung capacity (TLC): total volume of gas within the lungs after a maximal inspiration 2. Residual volume (RV): volume of gas remaining within the lungs after a maximal expiration 3. Vital capacity (VC): volume of gas expired when going from TLC to RV 4.